Name of the Department:
Quality Assurance Department (QAD)
Under the Dean office
Khalaf Said Al Mamari
Letter from the director of QAD
In its commitment to raise the standard of its programs, services and activities from early beginning, BUC established at the beginning of the academic year 2003-2004 a quality assurance unit under the direct supervision with the dean of the college. Later on the academic year 2009-2010 it was changed to be called Quality Assurance Department.
QAD strives to develop collaborative work to achieve the mission, vision and goals of BUC by enhancing quality in all aspects of the work in BUC. We try to provide the best quality services to stakeholders. Those are the students, the teachers, the administrators and the community as well. We try to insure that there is quality in all aspects of teaching, learning, assessment, evaluation processes and services. We try to make learning an enjoyable activity at BUC. We have been seeking improvement in all these areas. We have been utilizing a professional system that assures the highest possible level of quality. We have been working with Oman Academic Accreditation Authority (OAAA) to apply the accreditation criteria in the two stages: Quality Audit Stage and the Standards Assessment Stage.
On April 2011, a quality audit panel organized by OAAA visited BUC and conducted external quality audit review for the whole college based on predefined criteria (Quality Audit Manual) by QAAA. Based on that visit’s report, QAD prepared BUC Quality Improvement Plan 2012-2014 (QIP) to overcome all the recommendations stated in that report.
The second stage of accreditation which involves standards assessment for each academic program will start soon and all BUC academic programs are ready for it. Moreover, we try to find out though continuous surveys: to what extent our stakeholders (students, instructors and administrators) are satisfied about the services provided by BUC and to what extent our academic programs are achieving its stated missions, visions, goals and students’ learning outcomes. In this regard, several surveys were conducted for academic and administrative staff, plus the students.
To sum up, QAD will continue to improve in the quality of all aspects of BUC as part of its determination to help stakeholders get the highest possible quality services. We want BUC to be a leading college in Oman. We want to be the number one college in Oman to work for, and we want to be the number one college in Oman to study in.
Khalaf Al Mamari - Director of QAD
“Quality is our first concern and stakeholders’ satisfaction and success is our first priority”
“QAD strives to develop collaborative work to achieve the mission, vision and goals of BUC by enhancing quality in all aspects of the work in BUC. We want BUC to be a leading college in Oman. We want to be the number one college in Oman to work for, and we want to be the number one college in Oman to study in”
Using professional standards, such as:
- Quality Audit Manual
- Oman Standard Classification of Education Framework (OSCED)
- Oman Academic Standards for General Foundation Programs
- ROSQA - Requirements for Oman`s System of Quality Assurance
The department seeks to advance in
- Administrative practices
- To participate in implementing the college mission, vision and goals related to quality assurance.
- To ensure a commitment to quality services in all academic and administrative departments and enhance the quality of the student experiences and activities.
- To demonstrate that standards of programs/courses are appropriate and meet the requirement of OAAA standards and other external benchmarks.
- To maintain systematic collections of reports, records, documents, policies, regulations, performance indicators, researches and any evidence related to QAD activities at BUC.
- To enable BUC to assure itself and its stakeholders that the college policies, systems and processes for the development, maintenance and enhancement of quality assurance in all its departments are functioning effectively.
Functions and Responsibilities of QAD
- To promote and create culture of quality of assurance in BUC where everyone understands, uses and feels ownership of quality assurance systems within the college.
- To develop and implement quality action plans to improve quality assurance in the college.
- To follow-up and monitors the implementation of quality improvement action plans and MHOE, OAAA or CSUN recommendations.
- To analyzes students’ results, data, statistics and reports and prepare performance indicators for all academic and administrative departments of the college.
- To monitor the implementation of the annual performance evaluations of the academic departments and unit of foundation program and track their levels annually.
- To ensure that teaching, learning, assessment and research processes are achieved and conducted in accordance to the predefined policies, procedures and standards.
- To assure that each program is based on clear academic standards, with specific SMART learning outcomes defined for each course.
- To conduct student-teacher and student – course evaluation for each course and teacher every semester.
- To participate in conducting staff development and training workshops.
- To coordinate, advise, assist and lead the academic departments in carrying out programs’ revision and self-study reports.
- To conduct surveys to measure staff and students satisfactions of different services and programs provided by BUC.
- To work as a college coordinator for strategic planning and risk management.
- To advise on any other matters that may from time to time be determined by the dean or college council.
Documents and Reports
- Quality Audit Manual - PDF
- BUC Quality Improvement Plan 2012-2014 - PDF
- Quality Audit Panel Report for 2012-2013 - PDF
- Quality Audit Manual - PDF
- Oman Standard Classification of Education Framework (OSCED) -PDF
- Oman Academic Standards for General Foundation Programs - PDF
- ROSQA - Requirements for Oman`s System of Quality Assurance - PDF