The Translation Programme strives to achieve high standards of academic excellence and contribute to the production of knowledge in translation studies and graduation of bilingual translators and interpreters. This complies well with the great role Oman plays in the international relations and cultural interactions.
The Translation Programme strives to help students achieve high standards of academic excellence and become bilingual translators and interpreters to meet the need of Oman society and the work market for such professionals. The program prepares students to become bilingual translators and interpreters, critical thinkers and competent communicators.
Programme aims and Learning Outcomes
- Enable students to acquire language and translation skills needed in the job market.
- Prepare students who are ready to assume translation jobs in reputable institutions or organizations and develop their critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Equip students with ethical and professional skills to be capable of translating different cultural, economic, legal, and technical genres of texts.
- Enable students to communicate information confidently and efficiently in spoken and written discourse.
- Promote diversity and teamwork to help students work in a multicultural environment.
- Help faculty enhance research performance and contribute to national and international knowledge production.
- Provide technology-based learning environments to ensure academic integrity and research ethics.
Programme Learning Outcomes (PLOs):
- Demonstrate good control of the four basic language skills for acquiring and exchanging information.
- Employ knowledge of concepts, current issues and research methods in Linguistics and Translation
- Translate different cultural, economic, legal, and technical genres of texts.
- Apply knowledge and principles of translation in order to be professional translators and interpreters in collaboration with the community.
- Develop knowledge of the various linguistic and translation systems to perform efficiently oral and written communicative acts within social contexts.
- Integrate the use of CAT tools and the latest technology to facilitate translation and interpretation.
- Justify awareness and knowledge of language’s role in promoting social and cross-cultural understanding.