ADMINISTRATIVE AFFAIRS & QA
ADMINISTRATIVE AFFAIRS & QA
QUALITY ASSURANCE DEPARTMENT
To be among the leading higher education institutions in Oman in applying quality standards.
To apply an effective quality management system that is designed to spread and enhance quality culture throughout teaching, learning, extracurricular activities, research, and community services.
QUALITY ASSURANCE DEPARTMENT OBJECTIVES :
- Spreading and enhancing quality culture concepts and standards and quality assurance and accreditation processes among the members of the college community.
- Supporting the college’s quest towards achieving its mission and strategic objectives.
- Proposing policies and mechanisms that meet the quality standards and requirements.
- Following-up the implementation of policies and mechanisms and reviewing them periodically.
- Applying the standards of Oman Academic Accreditation Authority (OAAA) in terms of institutional and program accreditation.
- Setting performance standards and evaluation mechanisms.
- Providing support and guidance to all departments and sections at BUC to help them achieve quality standards and requirements.
- Implementing periodic and continuous assessment for college performance in education, research and services.
THE DEPARTMENT SEEKS TO ADVANCE IN :
- Extracurricular activities.
- Administrative practices.
- Campus Services.
- Community services.
ANNUAL REPORT :
Annual and End-of-Semester reports are important ways for BUC to enable its management to review the performance of the various departments, centers, and sections. Annual and End-of-Semester reports are part of a continuous management cycle that involves reviewing actual results and achievements against stated intentions, which later on feeds back into the next cycle of planning, implementation and review. Annual and End-of-Semester reports are key resources to review and evaluate what has been achieved and whether plans, goals, objectives have been implemented and achieved. Annual and End-of-Semester reports cover the plans, activities, and operations of the various departments, centers, and sections during the preceding academic year (usually 1 September to 31 August), and the preceding semester (usually September to January for Semester 1 and February to June for Semester 2). BUC departments, centers, and sections reporting efforts should be focused most on the critical aspects of their performance to assess these against their previously stated intentions in their strategic and operational annual plans. It is advisable to use traffic light reports for follow-up of annual action plans and for annual reporting. BUC departments, centers, and sections are encouraged to include comparative information from earlier years and semesters to give a more comprehensive picture of long-term progress.
QUALITY PHILOSOPHY :
The BUC quality policy represents a starting point for the college quality management system which supports the smooth running of the college tasks in a high-quality manner taking into consideration the various needs of all BUC stakeholders. The BUC strategic and operational management are based on constant analysis of feedback and evaluations. Through its quality management system that is based on sustainable development, BUC seeks to assure quality standards in its educational programs, research activities and community services in a way that enables BUC to contribute to the well being of the nation. The core goal of BUC quality management system is to assist with creating standard procedures and shared practices in order to spread the best practices and support the progress of the permanent improvement of learning, research and community engagement.
SCOPE AND PURPOSE OF QAM :
The BUC Quality Assurance Manual identifies requirements for the effective implementation of a quality management system in compliance with the requirements of the Ministry of Higher Education in Oman and the Oman Academic Accreditation Authority. The successful implementation of a quality management system demonstrates BUC commitment to be guided by its vision and to achieve its mission. The QAM emphasizes quality control of all BUC services, recognizes the importance of constant improvement based on evaluations and feedback, values benchmarking with other higher education institutions, and encourages excellence in doing tasks in all areas of activity.
The QAM will be updated every two years based on evaluation and feedback. The policies and procedures included in the manual are subject to review by the responsible parties following the official approval procedures and hence they are updated accordingly. The QAM will be circulated to all administrative and academic staff and in case of any updates new approved versions will be circulated.
QUALITY CYCLE :
The Quality Assurance Department follows the PDCA Deming cycle as introduced in the following four main steps: PLAN => DO => Check => Act
- Plan: This step includes the identification of needs, reflection and interpretation of existing data and current processes, planning of goals and objectives.
- Do: This step includes the implementation of the goals and objectives and carrying out the new practice. Documentation of implementation is indispensable.
- Check: In this step monitoring and reviewing are necessary. Progress of implementation and effectiveness of procedures are constantly evaluated. Recording of results and observation is necessary and comparison with the original starting point and the expected results is required. Results are analyzed to see what the achievements are and what we learn from them.
- Act: In this step the focus is on what we will do with the learning and how will this inform us about the whole process. Revising, refining and improving are the outcomes of this step.
QUALITY PLANNING :
Operational planning at BUC is an indispensable part of its strategic planning. The yearly operational plans at BUC define how we will operate in practice to implement our actions and monitor our plans. Our yearly operational plans do not exist in void or are separately developed, they are rather integrated with the BUC Strategic Plan. Our operational plans ensure we can successfully implement our actions and tasks by getting our team to:
- Prepare SMART objectives and clear milestones.
- Use existent resources effectively.
- Allocate resources needed reasonably.
- State clear timeframes.
- Identify duties and responsibilities.
- Execute an efficient follow-up plan.
- Act swiftly and effectively in any case of contingency.
ACADEMIC AFFILIATION AND SUPERVISION :
Since its establishment BUC has been keen to learn from the expertise of other reputable higher education providers inside and outside Oman. Consequently, California State University, Northridge, USA (CSUN) and Ain Shams University, Egypt have been carefully selected for academic affiliation in the three academic departments (English, IT, Business) and Law, respectively. The choice of these two universities stems from their long and famous history, both regionally and globally, which gives BUC a good opportunity to work with, and learn from, professional and successful higher education providers. BUC and its affiliates work closely to achieve the following tasks:
Provide on-going, generalized conclusive services.
Provide on-going, faculty-to-faculty consultation to address problems and issues relating to teaching, research, and service.
Assist in the development of cutting-edge assessment strategies and practices and to strengthen instructional effectiveness.
Assist in the development and refinement of curriculum for new and on-going programs.
Initiate faculty, staff and student exchanges and expand working relationships between BUC and its affiliates for graduate and continuing professional education programs.
Explore options for other collaborations whenever required.
Such affiliations aim to enable BUC to benefit from the expertise of CSUN and Ain Shams in designing, revising, and updating all its academic programs. The affiliation of BUC to CSUN also includes mutual cooperation in areas other than academic programs which is implemented in coordination with BUC Quality Assurance Department. This includes trainings, workshops, consultancy, and advising on various areas of interest to BUC.