English Language and Literature Program
The Programme seeks to be a national and regional leader in high-quality teaching and innovative research in fields connected to the English language studies and literature
The Programme of English Language and Literature strives to achieve high standards of academic excellence and contribute to the production of knowledge in English language and literature studies nationally and internationally.
Programme aims and Learning Outcomes
- Enable students to develop knowledge of English language and literature; and acquire language and translation skills needed in the job market.
- Develop students’ critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Promote students’ creativity and learning skills through classroom work and extracurricular activities.
- Enable students to communicate information confidently and efficiently in spoken and written discourse.
- Promote diversity and teamwork to help students work in a multicultural environment.
- Help faculty enhance research performance and contribute to national and international knowledge production.
- Provide technology-based learning environments to ensure academic integrity and research ethics.
Programme Learning Outcomes (PLOs):
- Show knowledge of literary periods, concepts and critical theories.
- Criticise literary texts of different genres using critical theories and perspectives.
- Demonstrate good control of the four basic language skills for acquiring and exchanging information.
- Recognize different research techniques.
- Translate different types of texts from English into Arabic and vice versa.
- Develop knowledge of psychological principles and educational theories.
- Use various linguistic and translation systems to perform oral and written communicative acts efficiently within socio-cultural contexts.
- Evaluate the structures and concepts of the English language and literature in light of various social and cultural settings.